Friday, November 5, 2010

Chocolate and Fruit

This is something I wrote about a year ago but I wanted to post because it is something I still believe and think about.


Your heart gets twisted in so many directions. We seek to fill the places in our heart that seem so hard to reach. When we attempt to fill them, we end up trying in all the wrong ways. My heart contains this void, something feels incomplete. I accepted Jesus as a child, knew full well that he was my savior and that he loved me, but despite his overflowing and unending love i ran away. I thought there were easier ways to fill this void so i searched it out in idols. People above my savior, put on a pedestal. 

Reality crashed in all around me, none of these people, none of these things could possibly fill this void, none of them except...why do we run to things that will never fulfill? Why do we look in all the wrong places before finding the right one?

My body craves something sweet, my body needs the sweet taste upon my lips. I search it out and find the dark chocolate that satisfies my tongue, but not my stomach. My stomach is still empty, It wasn't something sweet my body longed for, it was the vitamins that come from the sweet fruit of the vine. My body was gorging itself on chocolate that does nothing but wet the appetite when all along all it needed was the sweet fruit. 

I try pieces of grapes and strawberries, and slowly this void is being filled. Filled to overflowing as i realize i don't even need all that is there. I can share this extra fruit because my body has had its fill, I can share this life giving fruit, with its life giving nutrients to others. No one shall go hungary when they eat from the fruit of love. 

Why had i wasted my time eating the sweet chocolate that did nothing but make me crave more? Why did I search out other things when what I needed was right before me. 
We go to all the other places before we go to God, he is right before us. We must stop gorging ourselves on chocolate when we can have life giving fruit any time we choose. No more false idols, no more. 

I want to stop putting things other than Christ on a pedestal. I want christ to be the center of my life. I want his life giving goodness instead of searching out pointless idols. I want the only thing that can truly fulfill.

Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father, Holy Spirit, Perfect Love

No comments:

Post a Comment